Monday, March 5, 2012

writer uses fringe twister

You're not likely to need a fringe twister unless you have loose fringes.That's not likely to happen unless you weave and don't finish your hems on the loom. (Although, as a writer, I should be able to imagine a few scenarios that result in fringes.)
The nice way to finish a hem on a woven piece is with a hem stitch. It requires a certain amount of left-right  coordination which I find difficult because I'm directionally challenged. I don't have that immediate gut sense of right and left. I'll bet Alice in Wonderland, with all her adventures through the looking glass, didn't either.
When people tell me I should visualize an L for left, how do I explain that in my mind I can see the map of Canada with Newfoundland on either side. Years ago I failed a driver's test for turning in the wrong direction. The next time I took the test I pasted an R and an L on the window. I've made a conscious effort to remember that cars are supposed to stay on this side of the road, but don't ask me quickly which side that is. And rationally, of course I know that Newfoundland is closer to Quebec than to Alberta, and that Alberta is in the west and Newfoundland is in the east. I'm not a dolt. Just don't ask me to point in the direction.
So... hems and fringes. I've been weaving for a few years and can usually recover the particular sequence of jabs with the needle that make a hem stitch, but it always takes a few messy attempts to get me there. I've got a diagram, but it doesn't help. I need to do a manual task manually before my hands understand.
When I heard about this neat little tool called a fringe twister, I thought I'd found the solution.

It's easy to use, but I'm not sure I like the look. Woven cloth--even ordinary 4-ply cotton--has a certain elegance. The twisted fringe looks poor country cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment