Wednesday, January 12, 2011

blog photo



The picture was taken from the window of my study which looks onto a typical street in Pointe St-Charles in Montreal. Brick row houses. Flat roofs. Wood cornices. The sweep of the wind carved the snow.

In deference to Rapunzel, I chose her vantage point. Up above. Not street level.

These Pointe houses were built in the early 1900s by the Irish who came to dig the Lachine Canal. The second floors tend to be higher than you might expect, because the basement windows are above ground. In this house the ceilings are 10 1/2 feet high, the windows 7 feet long. (Go ahead, convert it to metric.) I've never been on the roof because I would have to hoist myself above the last step of the ladder, into the air, and through a trap door. I don't trust my arms.

Too bad because the roof would be a great place to have a beer and watch the fireworks in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment