Friday, January 20, 2017

winter dusk

I've been very busy at my desk but still get out every day for a walk -- for the air, for the exercise, for what there is to see. Very lucky to live so close to the river.
Here: floes of ice, a strong current, the screen of willow branches. Dusk is my favourite time of day, if not the best time to take pics with an inexpensive phone. In French dusk has an apt, poetic appellation, "entre chien et loup". Between dog and wolf. In the failing light, you can't tell the difference.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this saying. Wouldn't it be good to know the origins, to know who first coined it and under what circumstance... (Dusk is also my favourite time of day.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it's a very commonsense, practical observation--that there is a time of day when you can't see the difference. In this case, the symbolism resonates since a dog is friendly and speaks of home, and the wolf is threatening and belongs to nightmares. Day VS night, no?
      The French expression dates back to the 13th century. It was taken from older texts and is found in Hebrew as of 200 AD.

      Delete