Sunday, December 22, 2013

winter solstice

Yesterday, Dec 21, was the shortest day of the year. Here's a colour picture I took at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Given how grey and white the season is, I'm happy when people string up coloured lights. I don't mean the new-fangled dripping icicles nor the gargantuan displays with balloon Santas and reindeer. I like the bottled sparks of colour when everything else is drab.


Sure, they're Christmas lights, but I wish people would keep them up all winter. We need coloured lights to help withstand the cold of December--but boy oh boy, we need them even more by March. Lights make up for all the colour that's missing when we're blanketed in snow and the nights are long and cold.

When I'm trudging along the squeaky snowy sidewalks of Montreal, I'm even happy to see stoplights.

No comments:

Post a Comment